"If I quieted the voices in my head I would face the day with nothing to write."

“The time to begin writing an article is when you have finished it to your satisfaction. By that time you begin to clearly and logically perceive what it is that you really want to say.” Mark Twain.

“And above all, watch with glittering eyes the whole world around you because the greatest secrets are always hidden in the most unlikely places. Those who don't believe in magic will never find it.”
― Roald Dahl
Key:
G-Unit=Grandpa
FLS=Favorite Little Sister
Sassy Red head=Shana
True Friend=Laura
Mermaid/Slo/Tripod/Chickas=Shannon 1

Spanish Princess/Tripod/Chicka/Vette =Yvette
#61=Youngest son
Mickey Blue Eyes=Oldest son.
BFTP (Blast from the past)/The last Frontier=gone
Big Jim as himself
Vitamin C as himself
G-Man=Garth/Bossman.

Nick as himself

Monday, November 19, 2012

Holidays


The holidays are upon us again. November as always brings heavy rains, low fog and the wish of snow. This week it is Thanksgiving and I love my family and I'm thankful too see them soon. This year we are saying a big off is the general direction in which you should fuck to the grind of tiring preparation for the ten minute ritual of eating the great feast.

I'm excited to be part of this ground breaking, breaking of tradition with my sister. We imagine a wet, steeped in low clouds and fog kind of a day. Some sideways blowing wind would be rather exciting as well because when it does this....it is the best time to be at the beach. And yes we have a hike planned to the beach because we will not be slaving away. The soup will simmer, the fine china will stay in the closet and the day should be sweat, stress and fight free.

Nick is heading over the hills and through the woods to his Grandmothers house. I have to work till ten on Wednesday night. But get to enjoy the holiday paid off with my family. As I told Nick the other night "I would rather have my fingernails removed then shop with the masses on Black Friday." So no, I won't be shopping whatsoever... I hope to be writing and working on my book and maybe enjoying a snow storm on the trip back over the mountains.


Our menu: Cioppino, French Bread and traditional desserts.

Ingredients for Cioppino:

  • 3 tablespoons olive oil
  • 1 large fennel bulb, thinly sliced
  • 1 onion, chopped
  • 3 large shallots, chopped
  • 2 teaspoons salt
  • 4 large garlic cloves, finely chopped
  • 3/4 teaspoon dried crushed red pepper flakes, plus more to taste
  • 1/4 cup tomato paste
  • 1 (28-ounce) can diced tomatoes in juice
  • 1 1/2 cups dry white wine
  • 5 cups fish stock
  • 1 bay leaf
  • 1 pound manila clams, scrubbed
  • 1 pound mussels, scrubbed, debearded
  • 1 pound uncooked large shrimp, peeled and deveined
  • 1 1/2 pounds assorted firm-fleshed fish fillets such as halibut or salmon, cut into 2-inch chunks

No comments:

Post a Comment