"If I quieted the voices in my head I would face the day with nothing to write."

“The time to begin writing an article is when you have finished it to your satisfaction. By that time you begin to clearly and logically perceive what it is that you really want to say.” Mark Twain.

“And above all, watch with glittering eyes the whole world around you because the greatest secrets are always hidden in the most unlikely places. Those who don't believe in magic will never find it.”
― Roald Dahl
Key:
G-Unit=Grandpa
FLS=Favorite Little Sister
Sassy Red head=Shana
True Friend=Laura
Mermaid/Slo/Tripod/Chickas=Shannon 1

Spanish Princess/Tripod/Chicka/Vette =Yvette
#61=Youngest son
Mickey Blue Eyes=Oldest son.
BFTP (Blast from the past)/The last Frontier=gone
Big Jim as himself
Vitamin C as himself
G-Man=Garth/Bossman.

Nick as himself

Saturday, February 26, 2011

Going Global along with some Jim Beam

Roslyn Winter early 1900's

Amazon is global and today I'm writing from a remote location, it's always good to be away from life. This week I was offered 'blue badge' at Amazon. It came with all the bells and whistles that come from corporate life, with a few extra's; like stock and the opportunity to travel on the away teams. Also my new schedule started and with it came three day weekends and today I'm relishing that freedom of the second day in.

As I passed through the corridor of the last town of Ronald in the upper county and into Roslyn I passed the Library. It is undergoing renovations from the Nisqually 2001 earthquake. The pine tree's are covered in heavy snow and with the breeze today the snow sweeps through the air moving the branches and flinging the snow into the air to be redistributed along some other path. A snow that is light and dry. Tonight another round of snow is expected and I'm heading to my safe place. My safe place from the past, filled with bittersweet memories. Not unlike my memories of Roslyn and the safe quiet shelves of the library.

Jim Beam

Now at the safe place; hanging with the guys drinking some whiskey; Jim Beam, beer and golf. The kids are grown and need a short amount of time and money and the freedom this allows, has led me to writing today in an unusual location. Pondering my week and my future. But occasionally I'm being watched and it makes me nervous. The high grounds of the upper county are covered in a late winter snow and a cold front has moved into the state. It is frigid with March just around the corner. The old mining houses are not well insulated and from where I'm sitting I can feel the seeping of the air through the cracks and small places where air can sneak through. Once upon a time in my married life we had a house in the heart of Roslyn and would head there on the weekends to meet up with family and the kids would run around in their socks. Soon the whites, were gray from the coal dust blown in by the wind from the mines. It settled in nooks and crannies and nostrils.

Big Jim

This morning the flakes were heavy and fast. I had a low pressure kind of morning with two cups of tea and just when I think it's overwhelming the sweetest two things happen. First I catch him from the window of his house cleaning the snow off my car and decide it would be a good time to start the car, so after taking a picture I grab my keys and go out into the cold last of February morning in tennis shoes and as I met him on the narrow snow lined sidewalk he gallantly stepped into the yard and deep snow to let me pass. "Chivalry is not dead," I say with a smile as he lets me pass, he grins his wicked grin and says "nope it's not." With his height, grace and coloring whenever I see a long haired gray cat with blue eyes I think of him...and this man is so misunderstood most of the time that when he is full of kindness I just want to keep him forever, for a brief moment anyway.

Cle Elum Winter 2011




No comments:

Post a Comment